Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Technology

I'm already behind on several posts. I've been thinking about what I want to write, so I will get caught up, I promise.

It's Election Day and I'm working at the polls for the fifth straight year. Go vote!


I am so very thankful for the technology that keeps us all connected. I am still amazed that it's possible to talk to people halfway around the world in real time.

A few years ago, one of my best friends was in Israel for almost six months. I missed her like crazy, but it was comforting to know we could talk via WhatsApp anytime we wanted. It made the time she was away pass that much faster, but also strengthened our friendship.

I'm now using WhatsApp again, because I never deleted it and B. found me. It's not like I was hiding, but I deleted his number three summers ago in an attempt to move on, so I had no idea he had it. He, apparently had not deleted my number, and saw that I was a user, so of course, he had to message me.

Although I know it's terrible for the state of my heart, talking to him regularly makes me happy. After not talking for several weeks (I'd link you to the appropriate posts, but I'm writing this on my phone. Yay, technology!), we've been chatting every few days.

I am so very thankful for this technology, not just because we can talk while he's deployed, but I know he's okay. Even if we don't chat on a given day, I can see him online, or the last time he logged into WhatsApp, and know he's alive. I try not to think about it, but the truth is, he's in Afghanistan, so the threat of danger is very real.

I can't imagine having had a deployed loved one before this technology existed. Waiting, sometimes weeks, for a letter to arrive or those scarce few phone calls had to have been torture.

I've always had a special place in my heart for our Armed Forces, especially because both of my grandfathers, several uncles, and my dad all served in the Army. However, they all served before I was born, so I've never had to live through a deployment.

I have a new-found respect for military families. I honestly have no idea how they do it. I can't imagine being the pregnant wife or girlfriend of a deployed serviceman. I can't imagine a husband being at home with his kids while his wife is deployed. I can't imagine being a mother or father having a child deployed. I just can't imagine how hard it is.

It's hard enough for me to deal with missing B. and worrying about him every day while he's deployed, and we have a screwed up, undefinable relationship. I can't focus too much on how much I miss him, because I just break down. Missing someone and not knowing when you'll see them again is Hell. I should look into acting, because I'm pretty good at crying on command. ;)

Bless those families that live through every deployment and support their soldier from home. Thank you for everything you do for our country. You are truly inspiring and real American Heroes.

Thank you, smart people, for creating the technology that allows us to stay connected. It really is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment